Welcome to the Ecozoic era!
The EcozoicTimes.Com is a news source and resource center for the emerging Ecozoic era.
What does Ecozoic mean?
The term “Ecozoic era” was coined by Thomas Berry in conversation with Brian Swimme for their book The Universe Story in order to describe the geologic era that Earth is entering – when humans live in a mutually enhancing relationship with Earth and the Earth community.
Earth is entering a new geologic era because the previous one, the Cenozoic era (spanning the last ~65 million years), has been terminated by the western-style industrialized human community in the late 19th, 20th, and early 21st century.
While not intending to change the course of evolution or change the chemistry or large scale cycles of the planet, we have indeed done so. We have been, as a civilization, simply paying attention to our own human needs, acting out of what Dr. Brian Swimme calls “local mind”.
While many individuals of the last centuries have been aware of the effects our way of life have had on the Earth community, as a society, and now a global civilization we have been unable to see those effects. We have not historically been paying attention to how our activities have impacted the larger community of life and those structures and systems that support life.
The evolutionary dynamics that created Earth now include the conscious and unconscious actions of the human family.
Editorial Philosophy and Policy
We intend to stay oriented toward the definition of “Ecozoic” offered by Thomas Berry.
“The Ecozoic era is a geologic era of mutually enhancing human-Earth relations” (glossary of The Universe Story)
We live in very dark, destructive, biocidal, geocidal times, with no guarantee of survival. Having a past does not guarantee a future.
However, we are the living edge of a 13.7 billion year Universe-energy creative thrust, and a 4.5 billion year Earth-energy creative thrust that seems silly to gamble against. So, we do what we can, while we can, to prepare for the dawning, life-sustaining, new geologic era.
As a human family we are making great changes. Joanna Macy says it this way. We are doing three things simultaneously:
slowing down and stoping all the destruction,
inventing and building life-sustaining new ways,
making a deep shift in values (and cosmology) to permanently support the new ways
EcozoicTimes.Com recognizes the need to stop destruction, and invent new widgets and ways. Yes, yes, yes, we must support the local ecology center, and compost, and insulate the house, and recycle, and ride the bike, and change-out the light bulbs, and grow food, and protest… We celebrate, support, and are guided by those who are drawn to that type of Great Work. Ecological and environmental practices are necessary but not sufficient.
Our focus is farther “up stream”, on the deeper values and cosmology that creates the widgets and ways in the first place.We are guided by big, deep structures like archetypes, and innate evolutionary powers and forces. We celebrate the unique subjectivity of each “thing” and being, but we always try to link it to the mysterious, creative forces from whence it came. And to which it will return.
We believe humans are as integral and important to Earth’s thriving as the Colorado River of North America, the tropical rain forests of Brazil, or the snow leopard of Asia.
While we celebrate the man, Thomas Berry, who brought us these insights, we also celebrate how his ideas are moving forward in the world.
Submission Ideas and topics we need addressed – just a few – there are more!
- how have the visions of Thomas Berry activated you (your organization, your art, your organizing, etc)
- what is the difference between environmentalism, sustainability, and Ecozoic
- examples of mutually enhancing human-Earth relations
- examples of increased complexity, subjectivity, communion, cooperation
- examples of Ecozoic living
- what is meant by Thomas’s “four wisdoms”
- explain “interiority” and how it relates to spirituality and the power/dynamics of the universe
- how “mutual” must “mutual” be to be considered “Ecozoic”
- Universe Story, New Cosmology, New Story
- The person & contributions of Thomas Berry in relation to the Universe Story in relation to the Ecozoic Era
- Talk and network. Spread the word. Via oral tradition, social media, regular media, dog sled, passenger pigeon….(whoops…too late).
- Write. Contribute your original articles, short or long. Maybe your Ecozoic blog gets a link to/from this site. Suggest articles written by others you think should be posted here.
- Think. Contribute your ideas to help build all departments of the Resources web page. How do you see the Ecozoic Era emerging?
- Research. Find or write articles that clearly and intelligently explain the Ecozoic era. We need to fill out the site’s web pages that explain Thomas’s ideas. And how those ideas are being realized, expanded upon, and moved into the future.
- Money. Donations are always happily received to keep the website going. All labor and expenses are a donation and gift of service from Allysyn Kiplinger. Email Allysyn at Artha Soaps dot com (my business email) to contribute money.
- Most important – Act. Live your life in consonance with the reality and values put forth by Earth through Thomas.